This is the chrysalis that the caterpillar made yesterday morning. After another search today, I have six more caterpillars, making a total of 13. A couple of them are on the top screen in the butterfly house, so I figure they’ll probably make a chrysalis pretty soon. I’m hoping to get pictures of that process if I can. My main goal is to get pictures of a butterfly emerging. I redesigned the butterfly house so that it will be easier to get pictures of the butterflies inside.
My good friend, Jack, mentioned that while I had pictures of yellow hop clover, pink clover and purple clover, I have not posted pics of white clover yet, so when I went for my walk in the woods today, when I came out onto the field where all the clover is, I took some shots of the white clover. So, needless to say, this next picture is for Jack.
Well, after a couple cups of coffee this morning, I hit the ground running. We went out to Camp 6 Lake and my husband fished and I kayaked. When we got home, we had lunch, I showered up and then I went to visit my neighbors for awhile. When I got back, we went out to Seidel Lake and I kayaked while my husband fished. We made a couple stops to visit family on the way home, and after supper, I went for a walk and found 5 more Monarch caterpillars. I now have 7 caterpillars. One of the caterpillars that I found the other day has already made it’s chrysalis this morning and I’ll take pics tomorrow and post them. The following pics were taken throughout the day.
I forgot to mention that as I was taking my walk I startled a mama bunny who was nursing her 4 babies. I didn’t mean to scare them, and the mama ran off as well as one of the babies.
Last year I decided to try raising Monarch butterflies in my home, and it was a great success. I built a special “butterfly house” for them to stay in. It is basically a wooden frame enclosed with screen. When the caterpillars were ready to form a chrysallis, they climbed to the top and hung from the screen. I found about 5 or 6 caterpillars, (I can’t remember for sure) and not a one died; they all became butterflies. When they did, I simply released them outside. I got to see a few of them form the chrysallis, but I never got to see them emerge. I was always a little late and missed every one. If you’d like to see the pictures, you can look in the archives of this blog for July and August of 2009.
Anyway, yesterday, while I was out for my walk, I found two caterpillars. I picked a couple milkweed stalks for them to eat and they are now happily munching away in the butterfly house. I’m planning on trying to find as many as I can throughout the summer, so I can raise them indoors. I will post more pics as they progress.
This little guy is only 1/2 inch long.
This one is almost 1 1/2 inches long.
I put tape over the open spaces on the jars because last year I almost lost one in the water, plus they poop ALOT and this keeps the poop out of the water. I have newspaper spread out underneath the butterfly house.
The butterfly house. I need to change the design slightly so that the top can open up.
Just thought I’d throw in a few pics from yesterday as well. This is milkweed, just starting to open.